Friday, March 13, 2009

El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de La Mancha

Yesterday, on the way home from lunch, stuffed with nicanores and nata, I came across the following quadricentennial edition of Don Quijote.

quijote 002

The price was right - a paltry 10€ - and the convenience of the 12 slim volumes appealed to me. So I decided to take the plunge. During the transaction, I was making small talk with the book store clerk about the feasibility of a foreigner making it through the entire set in the original Spanish. He was encouraging, saying that they sold copies in Spanish to foreigners all the time, and that just yesterday they had sold a copy of the very same edition I was buying to Viggo Mortensen*.

I think this may be just the impetus that I need. Knowing that I may be reading it in parallel with Aragorn, son of Arathorn, is quite motivating.

*What he failed to mention was that, according to Wikipedia:

His family moved to Venezuela, Argentina, and Denmark, settling in Argentina, where he learned Spanish and became a fan of Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro. His father managed chicken farms and ranches in Argentina. They remained there until Mortensen was eleven

which gives Viggo a certain advantage, as far as navigating the Spanish is concerned.

But still. I am oddly motivated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THE PLAIN PEOPLE OF IRELAND:

Begob, yer man Viggo was very good in Lord of the Rings. Much the best-looking of all of the hobbits -- Sinead had quite the crush on him. But Viggo - what class of a name is that? Queer kind of a name for a boy, wouldn't you say, even one with hairy feet.