Friday, September 7, 2007

Ode to a recently departed tenor

In times of great grief, nothing unites us quite like some truly dreadful poetry. What can I say? When the muse comes a-calling, all one can do is receive. I'm just an empty vessel:



To a recently departed tenor


Oh dearly departed Luciano Pavarotti
My sister thought you were quite a hotty
My father also liked you a lot, he
Used to say often, very wittily,
That all the best tenors came from Italy.
Myself, though I found you at times a bit sweaty,
I liked you much better than your compatriot Lawrence Ferlinghetti.


Felled at 71 by cancer of the pancreas,
There is no doubt at all that you sang much better than Olivia Newton-John in "Grease",
And because of your death, the joy in the world is perceptibly decreased,
So, as you join the heavenly chorus of angels up on high, may you and all the other celestial choristers rest in peace.

1 comment:

Wog said...

I'm surprised you didn't mention his fondness for elephants:

http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/

Paul.