Sunday, August 17, 2008

Two Argentine Challenges

Bifteck on the hoof

Bessie above reminds me of one of two challenges I have yet to master here in Buenos Aires -- to spend more than 20 US dollars for my dinner (without resorting to obvious cheating strategies, such as ordering a dessert I know that I would have no possibility of eating).

The second challenge is to cross the Avenida de 9 Julio (as a pedestrian) within a single change of the traffic lights. I can manage all but the last two lanes, but in the interests of survival, I have no intention of making that final mad dash against the non-flashing red pedestrian light.

But who knows, perhaps trying to fulfil the first challenge will help with the second? That is, all the extra protein may help build the stamina needed to make it across those final two lanes in time.

No comments: