Sunday, May 18, 2008

la primera semana

So, it's more or less exactly a week since I arrived in Guanajuato. Time for the obligatory summing up. "¿Lessons learned?", as they put it so obnoxiously in the corporate world.

Well, yes. One, at least. I'll try to keep things mercifully brief. But it's easy, really. It's this:

Nothing really works 100% here in Guanajuato. Either it takes a while to figure out some kind of work-around, or things just don't quite pan out the way you had hoped or anticipated. But - here's the thing - people (or at least the people I've met) - couldn't be more helpful or charming. They will go out of their way to help you, or to suggest alternatives, and will generally not leave you until they are satisfied you are OK.

Like this evening, after dinner. There I am, trying to finish my little 200-word essay on the major factors that affect a country's economy. By the time I got out of the restaurant, I had the benefit of the advice of the three tables closest to me (and, had I not head for the door, I probably could have gotten advice from the kitchen as well).

So, let me tell you. I'm not a complete fool. I know a good thing when I come across it. So, yes, of course it's unimportant whether things work exactly the way you think they should. That perfect strangers might actually put aside their immediate concerns just to help someone they have never met. That's good times indeed.

The plain people of Ireland: Here, what kind of rubbish is this? These are dime-store platitudes, nothing more!

The management: I knew this continued silence was too much to hope for. Dime-store platitudes they may be. But - tell me again - how much is it that you are paying to read this blog?

The plain people of Ireland: No need to be like that. We were just trying to help.

The management: ¡Callaos, perritos!

No comments: