Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Four stone lighter

After class today, I made a trip (two trips, actually) to the local UPS office (aka Mailboxes Inc) and watched them pack up all but three of the books I had accumulated since coming to Spain, as well as the two pieces of art I bought during the excursion to the mountains near Granada.

art from the albujarra (1)

art from the albujarra (2)

All told, the two packages to be shipped weighed in at just under 26 kilograms, or 56 pounds. Or, in Irish terms, four stone (1 stone = 14 lb).

So that's 26 kg of stuff I won't have to lug back to Madrid, or to and around Ireland. You don't want to know how much it cost to have it shipped, but frankly, it was worth it. I already feel as if I've been relieved of a great burden.

Perhaps because - quite literally - I have.

(Note to self: stop buying books. Yeah, right. Like that's ever going to happen.)

1 comment:

Murphy Jacobs said...

Three years ago, when the husband and I went to England, I discovered the British Museum's bookstore. It is a most evil place. Also, used book stored.

We shipped home about 70 lbs of books. We walked the two miles from the place we were staying into Hungerford, lugging those books. It was hot, I was tired, we sat on the floor in the little store were the post office was, hunting a box and cobbling it together with tape -- much to the amusement of the patrons and the clerk. Ah, amusing Americans.

Then we had a lovely lunch and started to walk back...and stopped into the local bookstore to purchase 3 books. There's nothing you can do.